The Spokeshave Project

So here it is. My next tool. And it works too. I made a spokeshave. It cuts fine shavings with a small adjustment of the blade, easily done with two brass screws underneath the blade, after loosening the blade from its brass knobs.

The brass pieces were milled for me by someone at my job, who works in our prototype shop. I filed them a bit for the tool to work properly, and then sanded them down using progressively finer grits of silicon carbide paper up to 1000 grit. Then I used some polishing compound on a buffing wheel on my grinder, and made them very shiny. I then coated the brass with a bit of spray lacquer so they won’t tarnish.

The body of the tool was made from African Sapele, and the finish was two coats of tung oil, followed by Johnson’s Paste Wax. The blade was obtained from Hock Tools, and came ready for use. A very fine blade made by an expert, and the service from Hock was among the best I’ve worked with.

The tool plans themselves were from the #84 issue of Shopnotes #84 (my favorite woodworking magazine.)

IMG_2933.JPGIMG_3106.JPGIMG_3111.JPG

New Bushwood Projects

I had a chance to work on some new projects over the weekend. Got some nifty stuff done. I made a first shot at a wooden USB key. I took a cheapie USB key I had, and made a wooden “shell” for it. I also made some marking knives with some O-1 tool steel I had obtained from a friend of mine. He works in a prototype shop, and milled the knives for me, and then hardened them to Rockwell RC50. I took them home, and shined them up a bit.

I plan on modding some other USB keys that I have into wooden ones as well.

IMG_2899.JPGIMG_2902.JPGIMG_2900.JPGIMG_2903.JPG