Adirondack Chairs

I’ve been commissioned by Woody to build a nice set of adirondack chairs for his covered porch. Pine ended up as the wood selection due to its wide availability, and also that it would be used in a covered porch setting. Cypress, white oak, teak, and redwood were options for wood, but most of those were either not easy to obtain, or a good choice for the application. Cypress was seriously considered due to its outdoor properties, but I just couldn’t find decent enough cypress that was free of checking.

IMG_5153.JPG

UPDATE (Jun 1st, 2008): The chairs are progressing. I received the stainless screws and hardware I’ll be using. I decided to modify the design and add torque washers and carriage bolts to strengthen the front legs. I also had to make a taper jig with some t-bolts and some clamps to handle the tapers. All the major bandsawing is done, and the curvy parts were sanded with a spindle sander.

UPDATE (Jun 9th, 2008): I have all the parts cut and edges smoothed using the router table. I have also started assembly of the table, where I included a rough tile for accent on the table top. The pieces of the table top were assembled using a biscuit joiner.

IMG_5168.JPGIMG_5164.JPGIMG_5163.JPGIMG_5226.JPGIMG_5278.JPG

UPDATE (Nov 30th, 2008): I finally have had the time to start the assembly. I have the table complete, and 1 chair assembled. The rest should go very quickly.

IMG_5552.JPGIMG_5574.JPG

UPDATE (Feb 10th, 2009): The chairs are completely done.
DSC00020.JPG

The Sand Boat

After much deliberation about what we were going to do with the backyard, it was decided that we were going to build a sandbox. My wife had found some plans for a boat shaped sandbox plan in a book, and we thought it would encourage many hours of play and fun. I remember my first sandbox that my dad made for me in our backyard.

We bought some cypress 2x materials, as well as some pressured treated lumber for the ground contact stuff. We also picked up a plastic steering wheel (because how can you have a boat without a way to steer it?) We still have to figure out a canopy, as it’s designed to have a canopy above the mast for shade and it is secured with bungee cords.

I also have some ideas about a small ship’s bell, and a pirate flag on the mast.

We have to fill it with sand shortly, but the basic work is complete.

img_5108.jpgimg_5103.jpg

UPDATE: We added a cover with the leftover “sail” material, which was basically fabric cloth we purchased which is primarily used as a garden shade cloth. It has grommets you can add, which was perfect, and with the leftovers, we made a cover for the sandbox, so we don’t have to clean it out each day. We also added a “buoy” that a neighbor gave us while he was cleaning out his garage. Makes it look more “boat-ish”.

IMG_5148.JPG

Helicopter Pad

I had some scraps of wood lying around the shop, some pine and plywood, and figured I’d put it to good use. My son needed another helicopter pad for his wooden helicopter, so I just knocked together a quick little pad for him with a little ramp and building. The ramp was just sanded down using a belt sander. I used a router to make the circular pad. I coated it with some non-toxic varnish oil from tried and true. He likes it.
IMG_4658.JPGIMG_4659.JPG

Mod Stereo Stand

Well, Woody got me started on this whole stereo thing what with the amp and speakers, so I just had to quickly knock together a nifty little set of shelves with the leftover plywood. Nothing fancy, nor even perfect, but it holds the amp just fine, and has a bit of room for more components later. I slapped on two coats of shellac. The best part is the rear cable management in the column in the back. I drilled a series of holes in each of the braces all the way down the back, and it provides a method by which one can route cable from each shelf down the stand and out the back to the wall.
IMG_4647.JPGIMG_4648.JPGIMG_4649.JPGIMG_4654.JPG

Amp6 Basic Portable Enclosure

Woody had enclosed his Amp6 Basic that I soldered for him into a plastic case. After having wood case envy, he asked me if I could make a case for his Amp6 out of wood, that was a bit smaller than mine. So I did. See the pictures for my results. The wood is Anigre and an unidentifed species of wood that I salvaged off a pallet from work. 2 coats of high gloss Tung Oil is the finish.
IMG_4621.JPGIMG_4624.JPGIMG_4632.JPGIMG_4638.JPG