Lego My USB Key

In a complete and utter diversion from the world of woodworking, I was surfing around online, and happened upon yet another USB key design. Thinking I could do a similar job, I hunted around for a spare USB key, and grabbed a few 2×3 lego bricks, some 2×3 plates, and 1 each of a 1×3 brick and plate. That’s all that was needed. I hollowed out the insides to fit the key, and epoxied and super glued the bricks together. I then sanded down the sides with a bit of wet or dry sandpaper and some Brasso. Neat. Isn’t as pretty as the original article’s, but for a first try, not too bad.

Update: I’ve posted some more USB key images. Some of the smaller ones use a Firefly USB drive from Lexar. They are the smallest memory key I could find to fit into a 2×4 brick. They just manage to fit.

IMG_4217.JPGIMG_4220.JPGIMG_4223.JPGIMG_4247.JPGIMG_4250.JPG

Load Block Project

A co-worker of mine asked if I could make him a glued-up block of hardwood for a specific work application. For my company’s yearly trade show (AAOS), they were demoing the amount of force that is applied to one of our knee products during a knee replacement surgery. The block of wood was to go between the knee joint and the load cell (which measures the amount of force used to insert the joint onto the existing leg bones). I made the block of wood 3 3/8 square and 1 foot long, and it was made with three pieces of anigre glued together with Elmer’s Polyurethane Glue (which is similar to Gorilla Glue). He finished it off by bandsawing the correct shape to fit the knee joint and coated it with a satin spray poly finish.

loadblock_detail.jpgloadblock_setup.jpg

Escutcheons

A nice friend of mine requested I make a special project for him, which was a set of escutcheons for his garden fence project. The escutcheons are to be used to cover a hose bib pipe to make it look a bit more attractive than just a hole in the side of the fence. The escutcheons are made from pressure treated pine cut to size, and then chamfered, drilled, and I then chamfered the screw holes for a #8 screw.

IMG_4175.JPGIMG_4176.JPG

Tool Tote Project

From the pages of Shopnotes issue number 91, I built the tool tote. It is made from 1/4″ birch plywood and required only 1 2′ x 4′ sheet to do the project. I think the most tedious part is laying out all the holes and slots for the tabs to fit in. The whole tote is assembled without glue, and fits together like a nifty puzzle. I’m going to half the dimensions for all the parts and make one kid-sized for my son.

IMG_4164.JPGIMG_4165.JPGIMG_4167.JPGIMG_4168.JPGIMG_4170.JPG

Stool Sample

So it has been a request of my wife for a while to make a stool for my son. This is what I came up with. After trolling the internet looking for appropriate “samples” for a stool, I happened upon a nifty design similar to the one I made pictured. It has a movable smaller step, which converts the whole thing into a chair with a back. The movable step is made from walnut, with poplar plugs, and the body of the stool made from oak plywood, with walnut plugs. It has been glued, and screwed together, so it is very sturdy. It is finished with a non-toxic Danish Oil finish from Tried and True
IMG_4103.JPGIMG_4105.JPGIMG_4111.JPGIMG_4113.JPGIMG_4123.JPGIMG_4124.JPG