Bushwood Minimus 7 Project

Today marked the first day back in the shop for a long while. A friend of mine gave me a couple of drivers he had left over complete with crossovers, and also the dimensions for a Radio Shack “Minimus 7″ sized enclosure. After picking up some 1/4” MDF from the “Depot”, I proceeded to cut out the speaker enclosures.

After much ado with the speakers and mounting them, including assistance from the above mentioned friend, the speakers and crossovers were hot glued to the enclosure and the enclosure was sealed up.

After a little testing, they sound just fine. Especially with the Amp6 I built.

DSCF1133.JPGDSCF1193.JPGDSCF1254.JPG

The Kidwash Project: For the School

So I had lent my kidwash (http://www.bushwoodworking.com/2008/07/05/the-kidwash-project/) to my son’s school last year for their “splash day” and it was a hit. So this year, I received a request to build an additional 2 for use at the school for their summer camp.

You can see the construction fairly easily, but I’ll be posting the construction notes shortly so if you want to make your own version, it should be easy to replicate what I did.

DSCF0084.JPG

Blast Off with the Jetpack

So we decided to make a jetpack for our son. My wife and I had looked around for some ideas, but haven’t found anyone that had made a jetpack, nor could you really buy one. So we went to Home Depot and bought some PVC parts, and some webbing, buckles, and D-rings from Joann Fabrics, and we were in business. Took about a half day of assembly, and it looks cool. Now all we need is a space helmet to go with it.

IMG_6040.JPGIMG_6045.JPG

Hello Dolly

So my wife decided she liked a doll stroller that one of her friends had, and asked me to make her a replica. So we took a trip to Home Depot and got some supplies. A little bit of poplar, some 7/8″ dowels, and some bolts with lock nuts and washers. Instant doll stroller for my daughter (well, after 1 day of woodworking of course). My wife made a custom fabric sling for it, which has velcro so it’s removable for washing.

A couple coats of tung oil and some non-toxic danish oil should work just fine.

The first picture below is the original stroller.

IMG_5790.JPGIMG_5785.JPGIMG_5788.JPG

Adirondack Chairs

I’ve been commissioned by Woody to build a nice set of adirondack chairs for his covered porch. Pine ended up as the wood selection due to its wide availability, and also that it would be used in a covered porch setting. Cypress, white oak, teak, and redwood were options for wood, but most of those were either not easy to obtain, or a good choice for the application. Cypress was seriously considered due to its outdoor properties, but I just couldn’t find decent enough cypress that was free of checking.

IMG_5153.JPG

UPDATE (Jun 1st, 2008): The chairs are progressing. I received the stainless screws and hardware I’ll be using. I decided to modify the design and add torque washers and carriage bolts to strengthen the front legs. I also had to make a taper jig with some t-bolts and some clamps to handle the tapers. All the major bandsawing is done, and the curvy parts were sanded with a spindle sander.

UPDATE (Jun 9th, 2008): I have all the parts cut and edges smoothed using the router table. I have also started assembly of the table, where I included a rough tile for accent on the table top. The pieces of the table top were assembled using a biscuit joiner.

IMG_5168.JPGIMG_5164.JPGIMG_5163.JPGIMG_5226.JPGIMG_5278.JPG

UPDATE (Nov 30th, 2008): I finally have had the time to start the assembly. I have the table complete, and 1 chair assembled. The rest should go very quickly.

IMG_5552.JPGIMG_5574.JPG

UPDATE (Feb 10th, 2009): The chairs are completely done.
DSC00020.JPG