Load Block Project

A co-worker of mine asked if I could make him a glued-up block of hardwood for a specific work application. For my company’s yearly trade show (AAOS), they were demoing the amount of force that is applied to one of our knee products during a knee replacement surgery. The block of wood was to go between the knee joint and the load cell (which measures the amount of force used to insert the joint onto the existing leg bones). I made the block of wood 3 3/8 square and 1 foot long, and it was made with three pieces of anigre glued together with Elmer’s Polyurethane Glue (which is similar to Gorilla Glue). He finished it off by bandsawing the correct shape to fit the knee joint and coated it with a satin spray poly finish.

loadblock_detail.jpgloadblock_setup.jpg

Escutcheons

A nice friend of mine requested I make a special project for him, which was a set of escutcheons for his garden fence project. The escutcheons are to be used to cover a hose bib pipe to make it look a bit more attractive than just a hole in the side of the fence. The escutcheons are made from pressure treated pine cut to size, and then chamfered, drilled, and I then chamfered the screw holes for a #8 screw.

IMG_4175.JPGIMG_4176.JPG

Tool Tote Project

From the pages of Shopnotes issue number 91, I built the tool tote. It is made from 1/4″ birch plywood and required only 1 2′ x 4′ sheet to do the project. I think the most tedious part is laying out all the holes and slots for the tabs to fit in. The whole tote is assembled without glue, and fits together like a nifty puzzle. I’m going to half the dimensions for all the parts and make one kid-sized for my son.

IMG_4164.JPGIMG_4165.JPGIMG_4167.JPGIMG_4168.JPGIMG_4170.JPG

Stool Sample

So it has been a request of my wife for a while to make a stool for my son. This is what I came up with. After trolling the internet looking for appropriate “samples” for a stool, I happened upon a nifty design similar to the one I made pictured. It has a movable smaller step, which converts the whole thing into a chair with a back. The movable step is made from walnut, with poplar plugs, and the body of the stool made from oak plywood, with walnut plugs. It has been glued, and screwed together, so it is very sturdy. It is finished with a non-toxic Danish Oil finish from Tried and True
IMG_4103.JPGIMG_4105.JPGIMG_4111.JPGIMG_4113.JPGIMG_4123.JPGIMG_4124.JPG

Plant Stand

So for Christmas, my mother in law wanted a plant stand. I had previously done a plant stand for my brother, which was cherry with tapered legs.
I decided to do something a bit different this time, so I got some salvaged pallet wood I had been saving, and got to work. It’s shaping up to be a pretty cool plant stand, with remnants of the pallet wood, like nail holes. I think the wood is african mahogany. I shaped the legs on the band saw, then used my spindle sander to smooth them down. The stand top is glued up pieces of the wood, and the crossbeams are fixed using glue and pocket hole screws. The finish I used is Maloof’s oil and poly mix, with a topcoat of Johnson’s Paste Wax.

IMG_3993.JPGIMG_4073.JPGIMG_4013.JPGIMG_4075.JPGIMG_4134.JPGIMG_4121.JPG